9.13.2009

First Trip to Louisville Suburb + Avacado "Gelato"

Jared and I went to our first ward temple trip today. Its about an hour and a half trip to the temple in Louisville from Lexington if you drive strait there and google maps gives you the correct direction, which for us, today, was not the case.
We got to the temple as the session started, so we thought we would wait for the next session, but found out that didn't start for another hour and 15 minutes. So instead of just turning around and driving home, we decided to at least take a few pictures.
I also wanted to post my icecream recipe I tried on Friday. Avacado Icecream. Jared had this flavor on his mission in Brazil, and I thought I'd bring back some memories. I put some mango pieces on it because we needed to eat it before it went bad. Jared was a little apprehensive about the mango but it turned out not bad, and the icecream is awesome once you get used to the flavor. Below is the recipe for anyone who has adventurous taste buds.
Avacado Icecream (After looking at the recipe its Avacado Gelato, my mistake):
2 c whole milk
1 c heavy cream
3/4 c sugar
5 ripe avacadoes (I used 5 but I might recommend 3 or 4)
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon lime zest (I have to say that the lime really made the dish, I didn't measure I just zested the whole lime and squeezed all of the lime juice tat I could get from 1 lime)
Add milk, cream, sugar in a pan, cook over low heat until warm and sugar is desolved. Make sure to whisk.
cover and refrigerate until cool. Place milk mixturem avacadoes (peeled and diced) lime juice and zest in a blender. Blend until smooth, transfer to icecream maker.
I found a recipe that called for coconut cream as well, I might add that next time instead of a cup of milk, but first we need to eat this icecream as well as the rest of the watermelon.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

hmmmmm... not sure how I feel about the sound of Avocado ice-cream :) But I can't knock it until I try it... right???
i love seeing the new things you try

We're The Jaggi Family said...

interesting....I wanna try it!! :)

Steph Wardle said...

i LOVE avocado!!!! i don't love icecream so maybe this will be thee recipe to convert me ;)