5.03.2011

Derby Marathon 2011

Well, I checked off another goal for 2011 on Saturday by running my 3rd marathon. I had trained pretty ok but I know that there was always more that I could've done. So I was expecting to have a bit of a challenge on this marathon... almost like the one last year. But I did a few things differently and they really paid off!

I was only 1 minute slower than my first marathon and even though its not an amazing time I still felt really good about it.

This year I decided to have something substantial for breakfast so I had some oatmeal and some of a protein bar. Then during the race I went at my own pace and it ended up being a faster one than last year. Last year I decided to go with a pacer and it completely through my rhythm off and wasted my energy in the first half. I was able to stop at the water stops and still be ahead of the pacer I was with last year (up until mile 19) then I only missed them by less than 10 minutes.

I did have some foot aches and overall my legs almost fell right off.. But the course was 20 times better than last year and they made some big improvements! Overall I really liked this marathon, the course was so pretty and there was great support!

Here's me crossing the finish line:


And my mother in law, Jennifer, ran the half and she did great, after just running a half two weeks before and she's got ANOTHER one in two weeks! Crazy


Jared got a kick out of the garbage cans and insisted on a picture :) Lots of bananas!


After the marathon we headed over to Paradise Cafe in Louisville... which is SOO good! I love it, Bobby Flay has done multiple Throw Downs there and lost each time. He's even got another one scheduled this weekend. Since we'll be in Louisville for the Derby we may stop by and say "Hey" :)

They have this fun gift shop in the front of the restaurant and while we were waiting for our table out on the patio, we had fun with the hats and glasses :)



1 comment:

Katie G. said...

Way to go on the marathon! That's more than I think I could ever run...